How Mystery Shopping Works
We initiate each project by touring our clients’ facilities and getting familiar with their company standards, training materials, and goals. We then use this information to design, implement, and administer a customer service program that is unique to that operation.
Once the program is initiated, Reality Check Shoppers pose as customers and initiate service interactions in stores (or online/telephone). These mystery shoppers follow guidelines, provided by Reality Check, to evaluate employees and processes according to standards set by the company.
Evaluations are completed by the shopper and submitted online to RCMS. These evaluations are compiled, verified for accuracy, scored, tracked, and customized reports are provided to the company via our online portal.
We recommend a minimum of 2-4 visits per store each month, as mystery shopping is most effective when a trend can be established. Some examples of service actions that could be evaluated in a mystery shopper program are:
- Smile & Greeting Customers
- Offering help
- Suggestive Selling
- Thanking customers
- Cash register & customer counts
- Product Quality
- Availability of Promotions & Marketing Material
- Facility conditions
- Employee Appearance
READY TO MOVE YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE FORWARD?
How Mystery Shopping Can Help Your Business
Data is power
The mystery shopping process is designed to test company standards and customer service techniques in unbiased, real-world environments. Mystery Shopping enables you to see customer service through the customer’s eyes, and it is the most effective way to measure the effectiveness and application of employee training. It gives you a tool both to make improvements and reward high-level performances.
Flashpoints make interpreting data easy
You don’t have to sift through mountains of data to get essential insights and updates. Flashpoints alert you instantly to outliers and changing trends, so you can see—at a glance—which locations or employees are struggling or improving. You can easily access your flashpoints via your online dashboard or mobile phone, enabling you to skip the laborious analysis and quickly identify the areas of your business that need immediate attention.
Turn insights into improvements
With a Reality Check Mystery Shopper program you can objectively compare different locations, shifts, and employees using the same standards and track trends over time. In addition to our evaluations, our experts are available on a yearly, quarterly or monthly basis to assist you in interpreting or presenting the results of your program and provide recommendations on how you can turn those insights into performance improvements.
Industries We Serve
In addition to the core expertise below, we have worked with many other businesses in many other industries, and we specialize in designing custom programs to fit your needs.
- Property management
Beware of Scams!
Who Can be a Mystery Shopper?
Our mystery shoppers come from all different places and backgrounds, and we are always looking for motivated people to add to our network. As Independent Contractors, mystery shoppers can enhance and hone their abilities by certifying themselves through the Mystery Shopping Providers Association education programs.
We are Looking for Shoppers who are:
- Observant: Able to engage employees and accurately describe interactions.
- Unbiased: Each mystery shop is a fresh start and should not be skewed by personal feelings.
- Anonymous: Not known personally by any employees in the store and able to maintain your anonymity while performing shopping tasks
- Accurate: Able to complete online surveys in grammatically correct & concise manner.
- Responsible: Able to follow in-depth guidelines and scenarios in a timely manner.
Duties and Compensation:
- Mystery shops take approximately 45 min–1hr to perform. Each shop also requires 30min of prep time and 30 min of data entry time.
- Shoppers are considered Independent Contractors, and paid approximately $15- $35 per mystery shop, depending on the specific assignment.
- Shoppers must be 21 or over.
- Payment amounts are dependent on your location and specific assignment and may include a minimum purchase.
- Shoppers are paid on a monthly basis, following the successful submission of their reports.
- Compensation and requirements are stipulated up-front when applying for and accepting available assignments.
Shoppers are Strictly Prohibited to Perform Visits at:
- Any locations where close friends or relatives work.
- Any company that they currently or previously have worked.
- Any location where they are known by name by majority of employees.
- Any company that is a direct competitor of their current employer.
I WANT TO BECOME A MYSTERY SHOPPER
Already a shopper?
Login to the Shopper Portal
Get valuable education and resources by joining the Mystery Shoppers Providers Association (MSPA)
The Ultimate Guide to Mystery Shopping
This 30+ page Guidebook provides a no-nonsense approach to all the questions mystery shoppers may have, whether you are a seasoned shopper or just getting started.